Annual Health Exam
Every patient should have an Annual Health Exam, or Physical, once per year. It is the key to staying healthy: not having an annual health exam is like driving your car without changing the oil or not aligning the wheels—it leads to much bigger problems.
An Annual Health Exam includes:
- A complete physical, head-to toe exam, including:
- Height, weight, blood pressure, and body mass index checks
- Ear, nose, throat, head and neck exam, chest exam, cardiovascular exam, abdominal exam, rectal exam (after 40), genital exam (for adults), eye exam, skin exam, neurologic exam (reflexes, cranial nerves 2-12, tone, motor, and sensory exam)
- Age appropriate screening, including:
- For children:
- Growth and developmental history review to make sure they are crossing appropriate milestones
- Hemoglobin, lead screening, urinalysis
- Vision and hearing checks
- For adults:
- Mammography, pap tests, breast exam, colonoscopy (after age 50), stool testing for occult blood (after aged 40)
- Laboratory/blood testing, including complete blood count; complete metabolic panel, includes this includes blood sugar, electrolytes, liver function, kidney function; thyroid testing, complete lipid (cholesterol testing), vitamin D level, urinalysis, and PSA and testosterone (for men, after aged 40)
- For children:
- Immunizations, which are important at every age, and include:
- Routine childhood immunizations, HPV during adolescence, Annual flu shots for all ages, Tetanus and Dyptheria updates (every ten years), and Shingles vaccine (after 60)
- Detailed lists and schedules are available for immunizations for children and adults.
- If you are behind, please book an appointment.
- If you are an adult and you don’t remember your last immunization, you are probably overdue.
As you can see, that’s quite a list! The Annual Health Exam is an essential component of staying healthy. If it’s been more than a year, take a moment to book an appointment.
If you are a new patient, learn what to do BEFORE you book your first annual health exam at FMC.